Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Auction Sucess: It's all about timing!

Lets consider for a moment the typical cycles of the playerbase:

Log on, check thir auctions, send gold to stash and decide to spend that gold to upgrade something or craft a piece of gear, then they farm a few dungeons for gold and maybe materials, before they log off for the night they will list farmed mats and gear on the AH. Am I somewhere close? I think so.

So when will people be logging on?
I imagine the majority will be between 5 and 7pm, with time differences in the americas region of 3 hrs between East and West coast that makes our window for logging on between 2pm PCT and 7pm PCT.

So when will they be buying from the AH?
I'd imagine this will be within an hour of logging on, so 5-8pm in the relevant time zone, so highest prices I'd expect to be between 2pm and 8pm PCT, as the previous nights farmed materials and gear supplies dry up.

So after playing a while they post all their farmed/crafted gear and materials. When is this likely to be?
I'd imagine anywhere between 10 and midnight. Lets face it that most people have "Real Lives" that involve school or work. So between 7 and Midnight we will begin to see the number of active auctions increasing, and consquently prices falling.

How do I beat ths as an Auctioneer?

Well for a start I need to be aware of these time periods, and buck the trends.

Buying
In my case playing from the west coast. I'll want to be buying at or around midnight. I can stay up late to hit the AH at midnight or later, this would mean 3am if you are trading from the East Coast, or get up early at 5 or 6am before my normal day begins to grab the deals, the downside for me with the latter is that anyone playing from the east coast will have had a 3 hour head start on me clearing out the best deals. If I stay up late I beat them by a couple hours.

Selling
I want my auctions to stand out as the best deal to that player who just logged on at 6pm, so I need to be monitoring and keeping my comoddities auctions below the competition from 3pm until 6pm to catch the East Coast trade. For Item auctions all I can do is post and ensure they up during this time and reasonable enough to attract bids during the peaks. I could shoot for auctions to end a few hours after this time, which would mean posting at 6pm consistently. This means that an East coast player will know he will get his new badass weapon or piece of gear before he is done playing that night, while the West coast player will have it almost imeadiatly.

Weekend Trade
What happens at the weekend? While the evening play cycle continues to be in effect, the time spent increases to encompass the afternoon, so while more players are online the trends become a little harder to predict. There will be morning players, afternoon players, evening players, all day players, and some that stay up until the small hours. Couple this with the 3 hour time differnce from East to West and you have a full 24hours. What can be counter on though is one thing. Prices will be highest due to the sheer number of these weekend warriors! So I'll be making sure my best items are up for sale at this time. I will possibly consider reducing the commodities I list to make way for 48hrs of these higher value items in the slots.

1 comment:

  1. You'll be able to take a little time for you to do some searching online. Your books using offering anyone ; your techniques of developing lots of diablo 3 gold in a really less than occasion. It will impose a fee at the substantial price tag. When you have cash, train as part of your sport participating in.
    diablo iii gold|buy diablo iii gold

    ReplyDelete